As an individual we strive for independence and freedom of choices. To be unique means that you play by your own rules. Boundaries don't exist, or there made to be broken. For myself, being unique is a positive thing. Conforming is passe and something I only wanted in junior high.
Yet I am left with concerns of an human beings ability to be an individual or unique.
The indie/hipster/scenester subculture focuses on individuality and one's own creative style. Brooding youth, who wear vintage, american apparel or urban outfitters, plaque the rock and roll venues or dive bars. I myself partake in these activities to some degree.
Already I have stereotyped a group of human beings, as well as myself. This "social group is a collective of persons differentiated from at least one other group by cultural forms, practices, or way of life" (37, Young). One could easily pick out a "jock" to a "scene" kid. All it takes is observing the way the individual looks. It might not necessarily be the color of their skin, but they way they act, dress, and carry themselves. We can't help but stereotype others for the way they look. It is engraved in us from our own society, even if we want to disconnect ourselves by creating our own subculture. Others will always recognize any differences and use it against others. This then eliminates one's potential for individualism. I myself might have different personality traits that allow others to decide whether they like me or not, yet my actions and look is nothing but based on another groups beliefs.

No comments:
Post a Comment